Labels

Monday, April 25, 2011

Mortal Combat: Love vs Logic

Many times in life we are faced with choices.  If everything were black and white things would be so much easier.. Yes.. No... if those were the only two choices things wouldn't be so difficult.  However, life is filled with gray areas... the maybe.. the but what ifs.. the well if this were to change...  So what happens when the gray area is when determining a mate?

All of us have our deal breakers, meaning things that are non-negotiable.  These deal breakers vary from person to person, ie tall, thick, wealthy, to many guys fav of a phatt butt and many women's preference for..err... ummm.. well let's just say size matters. 

For many of us these are just preferences.  Most people have lists of things that we want in a mate, but are all of those things equal in weight?  For example, is height as important as salary?  Does good conversation hold the same weight as good hair? 

Some things are clearly important to a healthy relationship like communication skills, attractiveness, job stability (yes, money matters) and of course a healthy sex life.  The issue I always seem to run into is finding a guy who has some of the qualities I deem important but not all. 

Since deciding to stop accepting certain types of guys in my life, that meant I had to do some spring cleaning.  So guys who had some but not all had to go.  But was that the wise choice?

One guy in particular, many would say I made the wrong choice.  He was successful, educated, tall, beautiful brown skin, nice body build, with no kids and seemed to be interested in me.   He was willing to travel to come see me and would try to look out for me when I needed it.  He eventually started sending poetry to me as well.. yea its corny but I was an English major so the idea was nice.  So why do you ask did I let him go?  I wasn't attracted to him physically.  There was no spark when I looked at him or was around him.  I didn't get that little fluttery feeling in my stomach like I did with other guys who I had liked in the past.

I would rather be with a guy who maybe didn't graduate from college, had a steady job, with a child (not children) or some other less than ideal trait than be with someone who I wasn't attracted to.  Do not confuse attractive with attracted, there is a difference.  I can look at someone and say they are attractive without being attracted to them, nothing draws me to that person.  Logically, the guy who I let go would have been the best choice, however, my heart wasn't in it.  I had tried in the past to make my heart see what my brain did, but it never happened.

So in the battle of love vs logic.... TKO Love wins...... Didn't Bella choose Edward over Jacob?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I'm the same way, if I'm not attracted to a guy, it doesn't matter if he appears to be "perfect." There has to be something that catches my attention. On the flip side though, be around a guy long enough and a guy can grow on you. lol

    ReplyDelete